The number of suicides among students is alarming. Data for eight months of this year (January to August) shows that an average of 45 students committed suicide every month. Most suicides are due to love.
‘Student suicide rate is increasing; How important are we to be concerned?’ This information has come out in a survey of Anchal Foundation. Tomorrow Saturday (September 10) on the occasion of World Suicide Prevention Day, the results of this survey were revealed in a press conference held virtually this Friday morning.
Professor of Clinical Psychology Department of Dhaka University was present at the conference. Kamal Uddin Ahmed Chowdhury, Azizul Haque Mamun, ADC (Education and ICT Division) of Narayanganj District and Tansen Rose, Founder President of Anchal Foundation.
This survey has been done by collecting the suicide data based on the information published in 150 national and local newspapers and online portals of the country.
According to the survey data, between January and August 2022, 364 people who were studying in various educational institutions during their lifetime chose to commit suicide. Among them there are students of different levels such as university, college, school, madrasa, nursing etc. Out of 364 suicides, 194 were school going students. The second position was held by college students with a number of 76 people. On the other hand, the number of suicides among university students is 50. However, among the total suicide students, 44 students were also studying in Madrasas.
The survey revealed that 50 of the total students who committed suicide in the last eight months were university students, of which 60 percent were male students and 40 percent were female students. Among the college students, 76 people choose this route, among whom 46.05 percent are men and 53.95 percent are women. Maximum i.e. 194 school going students have committed suicide in last eight months. Among them, 32.99 percent are male and 67.01 percent are female students. Even students studying in madrasas have chosen the path of suicide which is 44 in number. Among them, 39.29 percent are male and 60.71 percent are female students.
Suicide by category
The capital city Dhaka is at the top of all suicides. 25.27 percent students committed suicide. 16.48 percent committed suicide in Chittagong division and 14.01 percent in Khulna division. At the other end of the country, Rangpur division has 8.78 percent students who committed suicide. Besides, 9.662 percent of students committed suicide in Barisal division, 7.42 percent in Mymensingh division and 14.01 percent in Rajshahi division. On the other hand, in Sylhet division, relatively less number of students commit suicide which is 4 percent.
School-goers lead in suicide. 53.30 percent of school going students commit suicide. College level students are in the second position in terms of suicide which is 20.88 percent. There are 13.74 percent of university students who commit suicide. 12.09 percent of the suicide victims are Madrasa students.
According to the survey, female students are ahead in suicides, which are 60.71 percent of the total number of suicides or 221 people. On the other hand, there are 39.29 percent or 143 male students.
Age-wise suicide rates
According to the results of the survey, the suicide rate is highest among the 13 to 20-year-olds. Which is 78.6 percent. 13.46 percent of students between the ages of 21 and 26 chose suicide. Those under the age of 13, too, did not retreat from this path. Among the students aged 6 to 12 years, 7.97 percent i.e. 29 committed suicide. However, the highest number of suicides occurred between the ages of 14 and 16, which numbered 160. Also, a child of at least 7 years has committed suicide.